A hearty and cozy soup full of shredded chicken breasts, wild rice, mushrooms, seasonings, and more veggies that is the perfect recipe on a cold winter day.
If you ask me, winter doesn’t plan on going anywhere for awhile. Leapin lizards it’s cold out lately!! One 60 degree day last weekend and now back to the obnoxiously cold Nebraska weather. The “runzas are free today!” kinda cold weather. Can’t beat that now can ya?!
However, as much as I do love that Original Runza Sandwich I am excited about something else today! This yummy Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup has got it goin on my friends. So cozy, comforting, and full of veggies that makes us feel good about our healthy but still so delicious dinner!
One of the things I just can’t get over in regards to this life-changing soup is the chicken. After it has been in the slow-cooker for at least seven hours and you attempt to pick it up and shred it, the chicken literally falls apart and you will just end up shredding it inside the slow cooker. Oh, the chicken though! It’s completely juicy and tender and all good things that chicken should be. You will want this kind of chicken soup in your life. Scout’s honor.
Plus, it’s made in a slow cooker. I mean, does it get any better than that? Not today it doesn’t. I woke up late, kids took 35+ minutes to eat a bowl of cereal, and I was not prepared for that first gust of wind that smacked me in the face this morning. Still love ya Nebraska cause I know in the next week there’s a possibility of rain, sun, sleet, snow and fog. You just can’t get weather like this anywhere else. So, as far as supper goes, it could not get any better than this cozy Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup on a day like today.
Recently, I started putting together meal plans and I included this delicious soup in my first meal plan that you should definitely check out if you are looking to make meal planning easier. I included the nutrition info and a grocery list as well!
The goal with these meal plans is to create a week meal plan once a month and to include seasonal recipes that you will love. If you have suggestions or requests please leave them in the comments on this post. You guys are awesome!
The Yum in this Soup
1/2 n 1/2
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups (48 oz) chicken stock
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 16 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup ½ n ½
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- In at least a 6 quart slow cooker, combine chicken breasts, salt, pepper, stock, rice, onion, carrots, celery, and poultry seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- At the time soup has ½ hour left of cooking, add mushrooms and mix in.
- In a small saucepan, add butter and melt over low heat. Stir in flour gradually.
- Very gradually, slowly whisk in milk and ½ n ½ until all has been added and mixture is nice and smooth.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and return to slow cooker.
- Add milk mixture to soup and stir well. Salt and Pepper to taste.*
More Great Soup Recipes