This is a fantastic spring or summer salad with a spinach and arugula mix tossed with fresh blueberries, quinoa, and red onion. It’s topped with feta cheese and some candied almonds with a homemade blueberry vinaigrette for the ultimate OMG!
It finally feels like spring is here!! Beautiful weather, grills being fired up, and the smell of freshly mowed grass is in the air. What is missing? This delicious blueberry spinach salad with candied almonds needs to be added to your dinner menu, that’s what!! This is a favorite salad of mine and I think it always will be!!
This is a repost from last summer but I have changed some things around and decided not to make it into mason jar salads. This salad deserves more than a mason jar. It deserves to be presented in a nice salad bowl where everyone can see how beautiful it really is!!
NEW CAMERA + STUFF
Some really exciting news around here and that is (as you have probably guessed from the previous hint) I received my new camera in the mail a few days ago!!!! Itssoamazzzzzzing!!!
I purchased the Canon EOS 6D and a new 50mm 1.8 lens. It’s funny because I hear people all the time say camera shmamera and the camera doesn’t matter because it’s me taking the pictures. However, it certainly helps. I have never been able to get the quality of photos I want with my Panasonic. I am so excited about each and every post now because I absolutely love using my new camera!! Hope you all enjoy the photos too!!
Along with my new camera has come 1) A tripod to save my shaking hands once in awhile 2) 5-in-1 Reflector Set with Stand 3) A 2nd Lowel EGO Digital Imaging Light for those days natural light is just not a possibility. These things may not seem like the most exciting purchases but they sure make the process of photography much easier!!
Now, let’s just take a moment to appreciate these fine honey roasted almonds in the making!
SALADS CAN BE EXCITING TOO
Yes, that’s right! This blueberry spinach and arugula salad is incredible. It has honey roasted almonds, quinoa, cucumbers, red onion, and feta cheese that is tossed with the most de-LISH blueberry vinaigrette! This is one of my favorite salads EVER!
Nothing fancies up a boring salad like honey roasted almonds. The key to great salads for me is combining textures and colors. Adding more crunch and sweetness is a quick way for me to choose salad over the rest any day. You will not be missing any form of meat in this vegetarian salad. It is perfect just the way it is!
What Makes this Salad So Amazing
- The Honey Roasted Almonds- don’t skip out on them!
- Perfect Combination of Flavors all Coming Together- Blueberries and Candied Almonds Meet Quinoa, Red Onion, Cucumbers, & Feta…It Just Works and It Is FANTASTIC!
- Gluten Free
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar + ¼ cup for dusting later
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ med-lg cucumber, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced or chopped
- ½ cup tri-color quinoa
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup candied almonds
- Add first 4 ingredients to a blender or food processor. Pulse several times until smooth.
- Add olive oil slowly and pulse 1-2 more times.
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet and evenly place almonds on parchment paper.
- Toast almonds in oven for 10 minutes.
- While almonds are in the oven, add honey and sugar to small saucepan and bring to boil. After mixture bubbles for 2 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Once almonds are done toasting in the oven, place them in a medium bowl and mix with honey and sugar mixture until they are all coated.
- Place coated almonds back on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Add ¼ cup sugar, salt and cinnamon to large bowl and stir. Break up any almond clumps and mix them in the salt, sugar, and cinnamon and toss until coated.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- In a medium-large bowl, add spinach and arugula. Next, add ½ cup cooked quinoa, cucumber and onion, roasted almonds, blueberries, and finally the feta cheese. May make ahead of time, but wait to add dressing until ready to serve.
The nutrition facts label includes everything but the blueberry vinaigrette.