Try this Mexican-style bruschetta for a quick and tasty appetizer or meal accompaniment that provides you with protein, fiber, and healthy fats rather than filling up on the unhealthy stuff.
August is almost here and that means time for all of the back to school shenanigans that come with it. The whole back to school thing hasn’t been too big of a deal for me the last few years, but this year our oldest is heading off to Kindergarten. KINDERGARTEN!! Whaa?! I swear it was yesterday he was just learning to walk. He is so excited which makes it all the more fun. I am so looking forward to those little talks at the end of the school day about how everything went, especially while he still wants to talk to me. Because right now I am still mommy to him and there is no better joy, except being the wife to the most amazing husband.
Time out on the sappy talk for this bread shot..OMG!
So yes, mornings are about to get busy again. Compared to about 8 months ago, mornings have been pretty calm and cool. It has been wonderful. I have already almost forgotten how hectic it was getting a 2, 3, and 4 year-old ready and out the door by 7:00 or 7:30 depending on the day. Life was busy. But that’s all behind me because now they are 3, 4, and 5 and everything will be different, right??
For this reason, I think I am becoming more and more drawn to creating the simple yet amazingly delicious recipes. Bruschetta is an easy recipe that can be made with a meal or as an appetizer for a large group. I put a little twist on the usual and created Mexican-Style Bruschetta to make it more interesting. It’s a combination of tomatoes, black beans, and avocado mixed with cream cheese, garlic, and ground red pepper all over slices of pretzel bread. They come together in about 15 minutes.
Smiles all around for this deliciously simple Mexican-Style Bruschetta.
Fast Facts: Black beans are high in protein and fiber while being low in fat. One cup of black beans contains 15 grams of fiber! For vegetarians/vegans serving rice with black beans will provide you with all of the essential amino acids making this a complete protein. Go Beans!
- 1 loaf french bread or 2 pretzel demi loaves
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup black beans
- 2 teaspoons softened cream cheese
- ½ avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- coarse salt and black pepper
- ground red pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bread into ¾ inch slices.
- On a shallow plate, pour 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Dip bread slices in olive oil.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, garlic, chopped tomatoes, black beans, and pinch of black pepper.
- Lay bread slices on baking sheet, oil side up.
- Add slice of avocado to each slice and top with spoonful of cream cheese and veggie mixture.
- Top with sprinkle of salt and black pepper and ground red pepper.
- Broil 3-5 minutes or until edges are browned. Keep a close eye on bruschetta so it does not burn.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.