Time to get your meal prep game going strong and make these nothing-short-of-amazing chicken burritos! They would be perfect for game days when you need to feed a crowd or make and freeze them if you are in need of some quick meals throughout the week!
Who doesn’t love a hearty chicken burrito? Cause in all reality you just can’t pass up something like this.
Even if you are trying to cut the carbs or go gluten free, this filling is still for you! Make yourself a burrito bowl and add a little avocado or guac and you are set!
I think, nah, I know that what I love best about these chicken burritos is the creaminess of this filling. I sautéed what seemed like every vegetable I could find (gotta eat those veggies!) and then combined them with black beans, the chicken, and a few dollops of greek yogurt. They are yummy and creamy.. okay I could totally go for one of these right now!
Chicken burritos, just be YOU!!
What’s soo amazing about this recipe is the fact that I freeze more than half of them to enjoy later! I meal plan each week and yet, still there are nights when life throws a curve ball and I need dinner on the table like now (Yes, hello kids yep I know you’re hungry cuz you told me that 22 times in the last 4 1/2 minutes!)
And you’re probably thinking it’s that easy? Your kids eat these chicken burritos with all of those veggies? Ya, no they don’t. I was totally talking about me. They eat a super simplified version of these beautiful babes. Like the chicken with well, okay so just the chicken. Here I am a dietitian and I can not even get my kids to eat veggies. Potatoes and corn don’t really cut it for me ya know.
These burritos are SO delicious and all I want is for my kids to take in a few good nutrients and nada! It’s not easy with my little crew. I think it’s time I up my mom skills. Like pureeing broccoli and mixing it with mac and cheese..whaddya think? Will it work? Fingers crossed because I am elevating my mom-ness and going for it! I will be sure to let you know how things turn out.
I NEED MY KIDS TO EAT VEGGIES!
I watch my niece, who is 3 years old, eat every vegetable under the sun and I won’t hide it; I AM SOOO JEALOUS! 🙂
These Chicken Burritos are Veggie Loaded!!
Alright, well my rant is over. Now on to these most amazing chicken burritos that I can not get over.
These chicken burritos are adaptable too.
Pair them with a little avocado sauce or if you are short on time just dip with some of your fav salsa! Either way you are winning at supper or lunch or whatever meal is at 3:30 on a Wednesday afternoon when you are in need of something to eat besides your morning coffee that has been microwaved 5+ times! Whew, long sentence! Ya get me?!
You need these burritos in your life for when you get that curve ball and dinner just isn’t going to happen like you thought it was. You need these burritos to save you from that boring turkey sandwich during your 10 minute (on a good day) lunch break. Just say it, you NEED these healthy chicken burritos that most importantly taste amazing.
Chicken Burrito Filling + Cilantro + Avocado Sauce = Meal On Point!
Delicious Ingredients in the Filling:
Ancho Chile Powder
One reason I love making chicken burritos at home is the plain fact that I control what goes in them. Just real wholesome ingredients to make these burritos so so good!
Hope you like ’em!
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 lb chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ancho chile powder (or chile powder)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, cut into small chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- 1 teaspoon Ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained
- ½ avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons water, if necessary
- Avocado sauce
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towel. In a small bowl, combine seasonings and then rub evenly over both sides of chicken breasts.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes and until there is no pink visible in the center of chicken breasts.
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add next 5 ingredients plus the chile powder and cumin and cook until veggies are softened. Add chicken broth and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until most of liquid is absorbed. Add additional salt/pepper at this time if necessary. Mix in greek yogurt, black beans, and chicken.
- In a blender or mini food processor combine all ingredients except water. Blend until smooth. If desired add 1-2 teaspoons of water to thin out sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add a heaping ½ cup filling to center of tortilla. If making to eat soon, add a couple spoonfuls of avocado sauce/slices and/or chopped cilantro. Roll up, serve, and enjoy!
- However if prepping some to freeze, just add the filling and wait on the avocado sauce or avocado slices right before serving.
- If short on time, skip the avocado sauce altogether and add some avocado slices or just serve with some of your favorite salsa. They will still rock your world!
Package extra chicken burritos in foil and place in a freezer resealable bag.
Avocado sauce recipe is enough for about six burritos, so if making to serve immediately double the recipe.
If wanting to store in fridge, recommend storing filling and wraps separately so tortillas don't get soggy.
If you are in need of a suggestion for shredding chicken recommend this tool. (affiliate link) It makes it a breeze!!
Nutrition Facts includes just burrito without avocado sauce/slices or extras to go with it.
More Delicious Eats