Relax more and stress less with this Easy Summer Gathering Chip N Dip Platter. It includes an heirloom tomato spicy salsa and avocado hummus paired with your favorite chips. Your guests will eat it quickly!!
Bring on the Chips N Dip
Nothing says summer more than a big ‘ol platter of fresh heirloom tomato salsa and avocado hummus. ☀️ Bring on the backyard BBQs and grilled/smoked yummy eats. And nothing gets a partay started more than a plate of everyone’s favorite dips. And these are no store bought dips nor do they take long to make. I especially like that there is no starting up the oven to make these lovelies. Just a food processor and knife and a cutting board. They are seriously addicting. These two dips actually complement each other quite nicely.
Part 1: Spicy Heirloom Tomato Salsa
This delicious and simple tomato salsa contains just 6 ingredients! Fresh, whole ingredients that taste incredible when chopped up and mixed together. I put two jalapeños in this but you could easily tone down the spice level and just add 1 jalapeñdo.
I love having this salsa around in the summer because it tastes great in so many different things! I like putting it in wraps or sprinkling it on a salad. It adds so much flavor and texture.
It’s a must for any last minute, throw something together appetizer.
Part 2: Avocado Hummus
Smooth, creamy avocado hummus is more than just an appetizer. Hummus is one of my favorite foods when made correctly. It’s easy to make, but with incorrect proportions of ingredients can certainly taste “off.” I like my hummus made with tahini to give it that smooth, creamy texture. Due to the somewhat “powerful” taste of tahini and more subtle taste of avocado, I added in some cilantro to give this avocado hummus an incredible taste!
For as much as I like avocados and hummus, it is a little nuts that I have not put the two together until now. The verdict…it is faaantastic!
So smooth and creamy!!
Tip: Pair these dips with some gluten-free sweet potato chips and keep it completely gluten free.
- 1 bag of your favorite chips
- 1 large heirloom or other red tomato, chopped
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tomatillo, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 avocados, peeled and seeded
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well. If you prefer a mild salsa, add ½ - 1 jalapeno instead.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In the bowl of a large food processor, combine lemon juice and tahini. Process for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl and process for another 30 seconds.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and salt. Process for 30 seconds, stop to scrape sides of bowl and process for another 30 seconds. Mixture should be well combined.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Add half of the can to food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the other half of the can and process for another 1-2 minutes or until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add one avocado to mixture, process for one minute and add the other avocado and cilantro. Process for about another minute, until mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Serve salsa and hummus with your favorite chips and enjoy!