Lemon Thyme and Brown Butter Scallops need to be your next Friday evening meal at home. Scallops belong to the shellfish group called mollusks and are particularly high in protein while also being low in fat.
These Lemon Thyme and Brown Butter Scallops are fancy. So fancy that you will need to get out your fancy dinnerware for these tasty shellfish. They deserve nothing short of the finest. Take notes here! What’s even better? They are simple to make! A similar and just as awesome meal is this salmon.
My husband and I joke that one day we will be able to eat on dinner-size plates again. I tend to photograph my food on salad plate-size dishes so the food doesn’t get lost on a large dinner plate. So many times we end up eating our meals on salad plates. It’s just kinda LOL hilarious because our kids are eating on plates bigger than ours and they are 3, 4, and 5. However, sometimes for good measure I switch our food to our nice dinner plates so it looks like we are eating more than bird food. It’s just crazy how shooting food on salad plates looks so much better. Thus, for now we will continue to get in our daily dose of good-for-you laughs.
I highly recommend trying out this scallop recipe if you haven’t tried cooking scallops at home before. Scallops are healthy, great-tasting, and will cost a fraction of the price of most restaurants. For me, it was time to celebrate what 3 Scoops of Sugar has become so far. And that is a place on the internet where I have the opportunity to share my favorite recipe successes.
And to you, my readers, who are the most important part of this blog because without you writing would not be as much fun! My latest motto is Cook Like Everyone’s Watching because cooking is one area of my life that the more I cook and create, the more I want to improve, create better next time, and ultimately share with you guys. My cooking hero is me in 1 year. (Thanks Matthew McConaughey for the awesome words!) That motivates me to read, research, and become an expert in the future.
So back to these bada** Lemon Thyme and Brown Butter Scallops. It’s time to bite the bullet and try these out. They are simple enough and why wait to celebrate?!
It’s summer, you’re alive, and these scallops are fantastic!
- ½ pound sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 sprigs lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- light brown sugar for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pan at just above medium heat.
- On a plate, season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Add scallops to pan and cook for about 3 minutes or until they have a deep golden brown color on the bottom.
- Flip scallops using a metal spatula and add butter and lemon thyme to pan.
- Cook scallops in butter for about another 3 minutes. Occasionally lifting pan and angling to keep the scallops cooking in butter sauce. Add lemon juice. Turn heat down if necessary to keep butter from burning.
- Serve and pour brown butter sauce over scallops when serving. Top with a light sprinkling of brown sugar.