Starbucks Mocha ground coffee + Hershey’s cocoa crusted steak will be your new favorite steak recipe. An easy prep and fool-proof pan to oven cooking method for the ultimate steak recipe!!
Wowza! Are you ready to sink your teeth into the best steak of your life?! I have to divulge something first- I have NEVER eaten a steak without ketchup. At least I don’t think so. My husband was even surprised when I didn’t get out the ketchup bottle for this one. So yes, ketchup is one of my weaknesses. Do I like steak? Yes. Would I prefer fish? Most days. 🙈 Steak lovers, are ya still there?
HOWEVER, after trying THIS STEAK you will not see me pass this steak up anymore.
The taste is unreal. First off, we had quality steaks from the Oxford Meat Locker. Just amaaazing! The steak rub is now on my go-to list for best steak rubs. So read on friends…the Starbucks mocha-flavored coffee and the cocoa give the steak a sweet coffee flavor that is combined with the spiciness of Ancho chile powder for the best tasting steak in the world!! You can really taste the coffee flavor in the steak and it is awesome!
This is from a gal who tries every one of her husband’s steaks at home, restaurants, you name it. His famous last words, “Honey, you gotta try this.” They are always great because 1) He cooks/grills steaks like its his job and 2) he never ceases to order anything less than the best on the menu.
He knows steaks and therefore I know steaks.
His take on his wife’s new steak recipe,”OMG!” Well, he didn’t actually say O-M-G, it was “Oh my gawwww!” His next words or sounds you might say sounded very similar to Bill Murray’s response to eating supper on What About Bob? 😂 There was a lot of Mmm Mmm MMMM at varying pitches and all I could do was smile. My guy likes steak that is Fo Sho.
So, if you are feeling steak at all for the 4th or any day for that matter, and I think there’s a good chance you are 😉 I strongly recommend trying out this Coffee + Cocoa Crusted Steak.
3 Reasons I love this Steak:
- You say coffee and cocoa in the same sentence and I’m on it. When combined to make a rub for steak, it is phenomenal. Try shaving some chocolate on top…I dare you!
- When eaten in the right portion size, meat can certainly be part of a healthy diet. What I stress when eating steak or red meat is trimming fat, eating reasonable portions, and serving with heart healthy options such as the brussels sprout salad I paired with this steak.
- The method to preparing this steak is my favorite way to cook meat and that is the cast iron pan to oven method. So quick, so simple, so fantastic!!
Happy 4th of July!! 🇺🇸 🎆
- 2 16 ounce boneless New York strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Starbucks Mocha ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a small bowl combine all of the rub ingredients and stir together.
- Rub 2-3 teaspoons rub per steak. Be careful not to contaminate rub when working with raw meat, because you will have some leftover to use on your next steak. Place on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for 3-5 hours.
- Allow steaks to sit at room temperature for half an hour prior to cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add steaks to skillet and sear for 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 8-12 minutes. Cook accordingly based on thickness and desired doneness. These strips were 1.5'' thick so took a bit longer. Check strips after about 8 minutes and watch closely thereafter. This part is variable depending on thickness of strips and temperature of oven. Meat will cook for a couple minutes after removing from oven so keep this in mind as well.