Fresh chopped salad with farmer’s market veggies and sauteed chickpeas with a lemon-cilantro dressing.
I am bringing the coolest salad to you today! It’s so uncomplicated because it contains a bunch of veggies I picked up from the local farmer’s market. Healthy Foodie heaven!! I love a good salad. You know the kind where you can just throw in a bunch of stuff and it comes out tasting like summer!! This time is actually my favorite part of summer because my wallet leaves the market still happy and you can open up your fridge and it’s bursting with all kinds of fresh ingredients.
It kind of brings me back to the days when I tried out the South Beach Diet while living with my sister. I am literally laughing out loud right now. Our meals went like this…eggs for breakfast (minus that tomato juice rec), string cheese for a mid-morning snack, salad for lunch, more string cheese for afternoon snack, and then lean meat and veggies or a salad for dinner. We did this for several weeks and you know what we also did…medium blizzards at DQ on Saturday afternoon!! 🙂 Ahh, the memories.
I love being able to make supper with all of these fresh ingredients. A fresh salad topped with a homemade lemony cilantro dressing is awesome and so clean. Clean if chickpeas can fit into your definition of clean eating. This dressing was super easy to put together with my new manual food processor from Pampered Chef. I seriously love it! It’s simple and efficient.
So, I am going to enjoy my Farmer’s Market Veggie and Chickpea Salad again today, tomorrow, and probably the next day too. Oh, and fun news today marks the first day my little boy Collin will head off to Kindergarten. Uh, time where did you go seriously? I am hoping I got this as well as this Farmer’s Market Veggie and Chickpea Salad. Fingers crossed.
I am so proud of him. He is so full of energy and laughter. I gotta tell you his one request for the day he starts Kindergarten: “To eat breakfast on the front porch because we never do that. We only eat in the back.” 🙂 You betcha kid! Now go have an adventure!!
Don’t forget to check out your local Farmer’s Market for some goodies!!
- 4 cups coarsely chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped or about 1½ cups
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ear of corn, cooked and cut from the cob
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pinch of coarse salt/pepper
- Add ingredients to a small bowl food processor and pulse several times until cilantro is finely chopped. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Boil a large pot of salted water over the stove and once boiling add corn and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set corn aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop romaine lettuce, cucumber, onion, and cut tomatoes in half.
- In a small saucepan, heat a teaspoon or two of olive oil over medium heat and add chickpeas. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While chickpeas are cooking, remove corn from the cob carefully using a sharp knife or kernel cutter.
- Arrange salad by adding Romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, corn, and chickpeas. May refrigerate until ready for use.
- Add dressing just prior to serving.
More Delicious Salads