Grilled Romaine lettuce tossed with Roma tomatoes, olives, hard boiled eggs, red onion, croutons and parmesan cheese dressed with a creamy homemade Caesar dressing.
Welcome to 3 Scoops of Sugar!
This is quickly becoming my favorite little corner on the internet where I get to share our family’s favorite recipes. And by family, I mean Pat (my husband), me, Collin ( our 5 year-old), Parker (our 4 year-old), and Reese (our 3 year-old). However, the two younger ones still have some learning to do when it comes to food. They are not too adventurous in terms of the food they eat, but I continue to try and spark new interest by offering new foods nearly every day. One day…🙏 hopefully they will get there. To read more about us, click here. Today, I am sharing this delicious Grilled Romaine Salad with Homemade Caesar Dressing. There is just something about Caesar salads that always send me back for more!
For me, it is always about a lot of color. When you have a lot of color, a lot of flavor comes with it! I also strive for a lot of crunch. The more crunch, the better especially when it comes to salads. Go big or go home, right?!
I just LOVE what the grill time does to the flavor and texture of Romaine. Love it!
On that note, I am definitely feeling the effects of a fun and busy weekend with our kids. We kicked off the weekend Friday with an hour and a half bike ride while I ran alongside them. I was pretty impressed how well they did. They wouldn’t quit!
It was too cute how Collin would stop and wait for Reese to catch up. He also would catch up to Parker and make him wait if he was going to fast. He is certainly mommy’s little helper!
Um, switching gears for just a sec guys because look at this Romaine now. 👇 😍
Then Saturday came and that was our big day. We drove to Lincoln and spent a couple hours at the Children’s Museum then tried out Defy Gravity, which is an indoor trampoline park. And OMG, the kids had soo much fun!
I had just as much fun, but I must say it was pretty uncomfortable- and that I was not expecting! What I am referring to is the fact that I have had 3 kids and it didn’t take long before my jumping became more strategic so that I would not, could not pee my pants! 🙈 Either way, it was still a blast and we were all exhausted after one hour of jumping!
The day finished up perfectly with supper at Lazlo’s, which is one of my favorite places to eat at in Lincoln. The food is always spectacular!
To Sum it Up
I have decided that weekends go best when we take mini family adventures. I stress adventures and not vacations. Vacations are for the future. Adventures sum up this time perfectly because with these 3 kiddos you never know what is going to happen or how they will react. Right now, our time is all about teaching our kids the fundamentals, like how to tie their shoes, ride a bike, share their new toy etc.
I really do love this stage of life.
It is not always easy, but we have fun. I mostly enjoy watching our kids have fun. I love the fact that they are as close in age as they are (even though it brings trials with it!) because they all equally love our mini family adventures. No one is in the corner rolling their eyes thinking mom and dad are lame! Not yet anyway. (Still trying to get them ALL to love this delicious Romaine Salad with Homemade Caesar Dressing) “I don’t like the green stuff.” They do love the olives and croutons though!
3 Things I Love About this Grilled Romaine Salad with Homemade Caesar Dressing:
- The grilled Romaine lettuce is so tasty. It really is a big step up from Romaine lettuce that is just washed, dried, and cut up. You gotta try this!
- Homemade Caesar Dressing is quick and tastes sooo much better than store bought dressing. Just 6 ingredients + a little salt/pepper = Easy Peasy!
- This salad has so much flavor, texture and I just love how pretty it is!!
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- pinch of coarse salt and black pepper
- 2 halves of grilled Romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced and then halved
- 1 6 oz can black olives, drained (about 1½ cups)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- ⅓ cup red onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup croutons
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated or shaved
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Place first 7 ingredients into bowl of a large food processor. Process until smooth. Slowly add olive oil and pulse 3-5 times until mixtures becomes smooth and creamy. If you prefer a thinner dressing add 1-2 tablespoons water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan place two eggs in pan. Add enough water to about an inch above the eggs. Cook until boiling, remove from heat. Cover with lid and set timer to 12 minutes. Drain and run cold water over eggs and let sit for 3-5 minutes and then refrigerate.
- Cut Romaine lettuce in half lengthwise, leaving the ends intact so the leaves do not come apart.
- Wash and let dry. Brush halves with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with pinch of salt, black pepper.
- Place Romaine lettuce halves cut side down on a preheated wood pellet grill or gas grill set at medium-high heat.
- Leave Romaine halves on grill just until leaves begin to wilt and you are able to see grill marks.
- In a large bowl, add chopped Romaine, tomatoes, black olives, 1 hard boiled egg, red onion, and croutons and toss. Top with Parmesan cheese, the other sliced hard boiled egg, and freshly cracked black pepper. Add dressing just prior to serving.