Great tasting and healthy chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash to switch things up a bit and keep life interesting.
Well, hello there friends!
I am going to do my best to show you something easy, healthy, and still delicious since you are taking a break from your Monday morning to-do list. Let me clear something up, everyone likes Chicken Parmesan right?! I would like to think even my sister-in-law, Angela, would say yes to that and she
doesn’t like hates cheese. I’m thinking I could switch this recipe up a bit more to make her smile too! I’m talking chicken breast topped with marinara and what they call poor man’s parmesan or homemade croutons crumbled on top to substitute for the parmesan cheese. I have actually just gotten into making homemade croutons and I can’t believe I have been missing out on them all this time! They are delish!
Anyway, you may be asking if chicken parmesan is so wonderful then why mess with a good thing? Well, I am a food blogger and I am always messing with everything whether I should or not because that’s what we food bloggers do and it’s a weird thing. And I mean mess with a good thing to make it a bit more healthy in a totally non-boring/blah way. You know what I mean.
Today we are swapping spaghetti noodles with spaghetti squash. Let’s see what you lose and what you gain because the numbers are a bit surprising. One cup of whole grain spaghetti provides you with 180 Calories, 39 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of fiber. In comparison, spaghetti squash contains 42 Calories, 10 grams of carbs, and 2.2 grams of fiber. So really it boils down to you losing (really gaining in cut calories) out on 138 Calories, 29 grams of carbs, and 3.8 grams of fiber. Got it?! Now, I’m not saying don’t ever eat pasta, but if you are ever looking for a good substitute here ya go!
I really love how easy this meal is to get together.
The chicken is dipped in egg wash and coated with panko, whole wheat bread crumbs, and parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, top with mozzarella, and bake another 5 minutes to get that bubbly cheese effect. Top with some delicious homemade marinara sauce or your favorite store bought kind when you aren’t in the mood for homemade sauces. Oh, and to talk about the spaghetti squash I simply sliced them in half and roasted them for 35 minutes. After scooping out the seeds I brushed them with olive oil and added a pinch of salt and pepper. Feel free to mix in a little parmesan cheese too for all of you cheese lovers out there!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash…it’s gonna surprise you! Tell your friends!
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup panko
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch Salt/ Pepper
- 1 Jar Marinara Sauce or Homemade Sauce
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese or ½ cup shredded
- Optional Toppings: Parmesan cheese, parsley
- Place spaghetti squash halves on baking sheet cut side up. Place in oven at 450 degrees and no need to preheat. Bake 25-35 minutes, check after 25 minutes.
- Set aside and cover with foil.
- Lower oven temperature to 400.
- Gather 2 shallow dishes. In the first add lightly beaten egg and in the second combine the panko, parmesan cheese, and whole wheat breadcrumbs.
- Dip chicken breasts in egg and coat with breadcrumb mixture and place in baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until juices run clear, add mozzarella cheese to top of chicken breasts and bake another 5 minutes and cheese is bubbly.
- While chicken is cooking, heat marinara sauce in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop out seeds from spaghetti squash. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle pinch of salt and pepper over both halves. Also recommend mixing in a little parmesan cheese at this point too. Using a fork, scrape out spaghetti squash strands on to plates. Place chicken breasts over spaghetti squash. Top with marinara sauce.
- Garnish with dried parsley.
More Delicious + Healthy Dinners