Simple and Quick Everyday Breakfast Burritos start with a combination of eggs and veggies. Add variety to your morning routine while maintaining health and balance. There is no need to bother going through the drive-thru tomorrow morning.
Breakfast burritos are one of my all time favs. They are simple, tasty, and easy to change up in order to please everyone. Now, this may seem like kind of a bland post. However, the point I wanted to stress is how easy it is to eat healthy. It does not have to be expensive or complicated. These breakfast burritos are easy to create and will get your day started off on the right foot.
What do you think of when breakfast burrito pops into that head of yours? Eggs, cheese, and perhaps some ham or sausage. That is all okay but things really go from good to great when you add more flavor and texture with peppers, onions, jalapeños, plain yogurt, cilantro. The possibilities are out there and all you have to do is say yes to a healthy breakfast.
Liven these burritos up with this heirloom tomato salsa, this guacamole, tomatoes, etc. There are a number of ways you can spice them up or create more flavor, color, and texture which always makes something more interesting to eat. Pour on a little Sriracha sauce or store-bought salsa for quick ways to add flavor. Chop up the veggies the night before and you will save yourself some unwanted early am chopping.
I used a combination of whole eggs and egg whites to cut down on calories and fat. Just another way you can tailor this recipe to fit your needs. Eating with your health in mind does not have to be difficult. Organization and good planning are both key here. I don’t always believe in having things planned out, UNLESS it involves meals. What can I say? I like food, good food that is.
I have to stay organized in this area of our life because by 3 o’clock I know the question is coming, “So, what are we doing for supper?” And who is it that gets stressed out if I don’t have an answer…me. Definitely not my husband, probably because he would be cool with driving through somewhere most days of the week. Just because he is that easy going. I don’t have supper ready. And I’ve been home all day. My hubs would be like “No problem, honey, let’s just order some takeout.” But, I just don’t enjoy fast food and our kids aren’t quite ready for the fancy sit-down dinner gig yet. So, I will continue to have an answer to the 3 o’clock question from my hubs. 😉
Improve your breakfast routine with these healthy Simple & Quick Everyday Breakfast Burritos. Small steps eventually lead to miles!
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons poblano pepper, minced
- ½ avocado sliced, pitted and peeled
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- coarse salt and black pepper to taste
- 3- 8 inch whole wheat tortillas
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and milk vigorously.
- Combine onion, cilantro, and poblano pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Use a non-stick pan if available.
- Over medium-low heat, add egg mixture and let set for a minute or so and then begin tilting pan so the liquid runs over the eggs. Cook until there is no liquid left and then gently turn eggs. Add in chopped red onion mix in with the eggs.
- Remove skillet from heat once eggs are set and before there is any browning.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds.
- Arrange burritos. Add scrambled eggs and red pepper to tortillas. Top with cheddar cheese, onion mixture, avocado slices, and a dollop of yogurt.
- Roll tortillas up.
- Optional toppings- salsa, guacamole, Sriracha sauce, salt and pepper, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper