Spicy Crab and Poblano Pepper Pot is one of the tastiest soups and you will want to make it all year long. This soup combines lump crab with turkey bacon, tomatoes, red potatoes, poblano pepper, onion, and a blend of seasonings in a broth base.
Soup in summer. Wait, what?! It’s spicy, it’s hot, and it’s everything you would expect not to have in the middle of summer. Yet, I just made this and everything about it was absolutely wonderful. And that includes eating this delicious soup in the summertime. The flavors and textures together are like WOW!
You are going to need to try this.
It sure is giving this shrimp bisque some healthy competition!
So lately, I am really finding some worth in the phrase “Do the unexpected.” In other words, keep people guessing, stray from being predictable, find a new hobby, and keep your life interesting. Heck, eat a bowl of spicy crab and poblano pepper soup in the summer! Because why wait another 4 months to taste something this delicious? Life is more fun when you mix things up a bit.
Take this soup for example. We have eaten this soup on some of the hottest days this summer. But who cares? It still tastes amazing. I did picture having a little more fun with it if it were a rainy day but nah, it’s a scorching 90 something and we headed out to the park for family pictures right after eating this. Wheww! And if that wasn’t enough, after we were done with pictures we made our way to the drag races and ended the night off with seeing a jet dragster. It literally had a jet engine and almost took my breath away when it took off. So as it turns out the spicy crab and poblano pepper pot was just what we needed to handle what was to come the rest of the evening. I mean, that jet car was so intense. Our kids were excited/a little scared, and I think I was too.
Make this soup if you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary and you need to spice things up a little. Or a lot!
Do the Unexpected. Eat Spicy Crab and Poblano Pepper soup in the summer!
- ¼ pound turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped (3 medium tomatoes)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced (1/2 large onion)
- 1 cup red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon poblano pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 15 oz cans chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 6 oz crabmeat
- Toppings: chopped green onions, turkey bacon
- In a large pot or dutch oven, saute turkey bacon until crisp. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, onion, red potatoes, poblano pepper, garlic and stir well. Add salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and thyme. Cook contents 4-6 minutes, stirring often. Onion should be soft.
- Add chicken broth and bring pot to a boil.
- Simmer soup for 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, coconut milk, and crab. Cook for another 3-5 minutes to heat through.
- Top soup with chopped green onions, and turkey bacon before serving.