Spicy creole seasoned shrimp and orzo with broccoli and cherry tomatoes topped with shredded parmesan cheese. A clean-eating and fancy dinner that is easy to make! YUM!
Shrimp. Orzo. Broccoli. Cherry Tomatoes. WOW! These foods together have just slipped into my life and now I be like 💃. These foods apart are just that, but when they are together they seriously achieve greatness!!! I am just totally loving this shrimp and orzo combo these days.
I really want to break down this recipe a bit so you know a little about everything that goes into it and can really appreciate that part of the recipe before you even take your first bite and then be like “AHH!”
I am starting with the broccoli because it is the powerhouse nutrient packing vegetable that I just can’t get enough of lately. Per 1 cup of cooked broccoli, there is only 54 calories. However, for that 54 calories there are a significant amount of nutrients: 6 grams of fiber, 458 mg of potassium, 220 mcg of Vitamin K (>200%DV), and 100mg of Vitamin C (>100%DV).
Broccoli is certainly a vegetable that should not be overlooked! If you can, try fresh over frozen once in awhile because I feel like the flavor of fresh broccoli is amazing!
And cherry tomatoes are always an easy addition to many recipes just because of their sweet flavor and juiciness. Love these little guys raw or cooked!
Let’s dig in to the protein now. Anyone for a little shrimp on the barbie? 🙂 Ha, nah we are actually going to stay inside for this recipe and heat a little olive oil and butter together and sauté some garlic. Add the shrimp and cook until bright pink, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Oh, and don’t forget the creole seasoning here. Uh, your mouth will thank you later!! The quick rundown on shrimp goes like this: for every 3 ounces of shrimp, your body takes in 90 calories with 75% of those calories from protein. Not bad, eh?!
Last, but not least is the orzo! YUM! And of course with a little parm on top!! SOO GOOD! Don’t underestimate orzo. It’s such a subtle yet delicious pasta and it certainly completes this recipe. Pretty sure on lazy days, I could just eat the orzo, parmesan cheese, and cherry tomatoes and still be amazed. Yep, I could do that! 👍
Spicy Shrimp and Orzo with Broccoli and Cherry Tomatoes
Clean Eating Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch broccoli, thick stalks removed
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes or about 10; cut 5 of them in half
- 12 ounces orzo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli and boil for approximately 3 minutes, just until tender. With a slotted spoon transfer broccoli to a cutting board. Wait a minute or two and then coarsely chop. Sprinkle ½ - 1 teaspoon creole seasoning over broccoli. Set aside
- Using the same pot of water, bring to a boil again. Add orzo and cook according to package directions minus 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large fry pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add the shrimp to the pan and sprinkle creole seasoning over shrimp along with salt & pepper if desired. Cook for about 2 ½ minutes per side flipping 1 or 2 times. They should be done after about 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a clean plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the orzo plus ½ cup of chicken broth. Stir frequently until liquid is absorbed and scraping any browned bits off bottom of pan. Once liquid has been absorbed which takes 1-2 minutes, repeat with remaining chicken broth, adding ½ cup at a time. Stir in cheese and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes to allow tomatoes to soften. Add shrimp, parsley, and broccoli and combine.
- Top with parmesan cheese (optional)