Creamy, rich chocolate mousse made with coconut milk, coconut oil, espresso, and dark chocolate. You only need 5 minutes to prepare this mousse and then let it sit overnight in the fridge for a wonderful chocolate treat! Chocolate lovers unite!
Dessert. It is time. Are you ready? This is probably one of the simplest desserts I have ever put together and one of the best. My taste in desserts goes kinda like this: I can easily turn down pie, cake, cheesecake, even ice cream (some days!). I know, crazy right. However, if we’re talking simple things like chocolate chip cookies, vanilla custard, or umm chocolate mousse perhaps then there is no turning my head the other way. Those things are the best in my eyes. Heck, stick a can of whipped cream in front of me and I am on my way to grabbing the nearest spoon. For real.
So if you are wondering why I went vegan with this mouuse, I guess you can say I am a little intrigued, curious, or maybe even a tad envious of vegans today. Vegan food isn’t like it was even 10 years ago. I feel like people that aren’t vegan or vegetarians are more drawn to incorporate vegan dishes into their daily lives than ever before because of the popularity of plant-based recipes and how the number of vegan food bloggers has increased. While I don’t think veganism is for everyone, I do believe incorporating a few more plant-based recipes into one’s diet is a good idea.
You are in luck today if you are hoping this velvety smooth mousse tastes half as good as it looks. Its chocolatey goodness is something to shout about. I mean so so good. Sometimes I wonder about how much I talk to my husband about food and whether or not it’s a little annoying, but then I consider how much we talk about anesthesia and motorcycles and I think nah, we are totally even. Oh ya. Right?
5 minutes now means chocolatey goodness later! 🙂
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, be sure it's dairy free if you want recipe vegan + extra for chocolate shavings
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 14oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee
- ¼ banana
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to microwave-safe bowl and heat on high power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat 1-2 more times, stirring after every 30 seconds until chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour coconut milk into large bowl of stand-up mixer.
- Grind instant espresso coffee with a mortar and pestle or add it to a small bowl and use back of a spoon to grind it into more of a powder.
- Add it to coconut milk along with the melted chocolate.
- Using beater attachment, mix on medium speed for about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Transfer chocolate mixture into individual jars or small bowls and refrigerate overnight or at least 7 hours.
- Upon serving, using potato peeler shave bits of chocolate to serve on top of mousse. Cut half of a banana into slices and make heart cutouts using ¾'' heart cookie cutter. (Optional-but definitely makes eating them more fun!)
Other Delicious Desserts