Whole wheat capellini and mushrooms in a cream sauce with shallots, fresh thyme and parmigiano reggiano. This creamy and satisfying dish completes the perfect evening when the stars are out and pasta is on the menu.
When Life Gets Busy
When life gets busy, make whole wheat capellini and mushrooms. Your body will thank you. It is absolutely delicious. Some of you may be thinking whole wheat pasta? Delicious? What?! Whole Wheat Capellini is DELICIOUS in this cream sauce with mushrooms and fresh thyme topped with parmigiano reggiano!!!
These Mushrooms though!!! 👇🤓
April is always a busy month for us. There are birthdays on top of birthdays this month in our family. Our little girl turned 3 last weekend and we had her party on Tuesday. It was wonderful and do you want to know why? We have officially gotten past the years of our kids crying or sleeping through their birthday parties! Yipeee! I totally loved them anyway, but now that they actually understand the party is their birthday party it sure makes the day more fun! I love seeing all of their excitement!
So, anyway, the birthday party + Easter = I Am Exhausted! There has been lots of running around doing errands (I think I have been to the grocery store 3 times already this week), cleaning, baking and cooking for the party, more cooking, and then more cleaning! My eyes are barely open at 3pm. Thank goodness for my husband! He saw my need for an afternoon latte and made a stop through Scooters to perk me up!
RECIPE FOR PURE EXHAUSTION-
Instructions: Drive thru coffee shop and order a venti with a double shot of espresso. Ha! Nah, I actually got a small vanilla latte. I needed perked up and not to be awake for the next 24 hours!
Food Is Energy
It is now 5pm and I am waiting for my coffee to do its thing. The last thing I really want to do is make an extravagant supper. Heck, I don’t even want to make toast. I just want to lie here and shut my eyes for a minute. Reese is sleeping and the boys are outside playing with daddy. This is my few minutes of “me” time. I shut my eyes and start to drift off. WAIT. This is NOT me. I don’t take naps. I take advantage of “me” time and I do something. And that is just what I am going to do. Maybe it’s me and maybe it’s the coffee…I don’t really know. But who cares! Off I go!
I am going to make a delicious dinner for the hubs and me. He is off to a conference this weekend and why not take advantage of his day off and make him an awesome meal. You know, you can never have too many great dinners with the fam. I don’t ever get sick of AWESOME FOOD and SIT-DOWN FAMILY DINNERS. I am 100% sure I have never said, “I totally regret that time I made that awesome meal and we loved it and I had to tell everyone about it.” 😉
And this whole wheat capellini and mushrooms is AWESOME+.
It fills you up quickly too!
I love my Dutch oven. I use it so much. One that I really like is right here.
Whole Wheat Pasta that Tastes Good = Success!!
So go get energized and try this whole wheat capellini with mushrooms and shallots! 🤓
There are affiliate links on this page. I will receive a commission on any puchases made from those links. I only link products I use myself and would recommend to you.
- 8 oz whole wheat capellini - I used and recommend De Lallo Whole Wheat Capellini
- 16 oz mushrooms including white button, cremini, or shiitake, sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme + more for serving
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup reserved pasta water
- Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5-8 minutes or until they are softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add shallots, thyme, and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally and cook for 2-3 minutes until shallots are translucent.
- Add vegetable broth and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook capellini for 2-3 minutes max. Reserve ¾ cup pasta water.
- Using tongs, transfer capellini to the Dutch oven with mushrooms and add ¾ cup pasta water.
- Increase heat to medium and cook for another 2 minutes or until liquid thickens a bit.
- Add heavy cream and cheese and stir for another minute until pasta is coated.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Optional: Serve with fresh thyme and more parmigiano reggiano on top and season with black pepper.